Small amount blood in chicken poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MCArt20, Jan 30, 2017.

1. MCArt20

MCArt20 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    So question for experienced Chicken owners, I have had my two @7 monthes. So I was scooping their area (large enclosure) and noticed a tiny spot of bright red blood in the poop. A couple others too. Maybe the size of a pin head- if that, but it was there. My Rhode Island had been laying daily until a few days ago, while my bared rock has layed occasionally since late October early November. Also, not sure it it is relevant, but here in the Pacific NW are just coming off major winter snow with a lot of ice and freezing temps. They seemed to do ok during the 10 day storm. I shoveled a good area for them and they were out and about. They also went exploring on the snow- they were too light to sink into the snow. Coccidea possibly? The online examples /pictures of that don't look like what I am seeing, but I just don't know. Any ideas or advice??
    Thanks,
    Mary

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Mary,

Do you have any photos?

Blood in poop is usually associated with Cocci, it won't hurt to treat with Corid even if Cocci is not the cause.

Some other things it could possibly be, is diet (anything like beets, red cabbage, berries, etc.), worms or intestinal shedding.

If you have a vet that can test the poop they can look for cocci, worms and bacterial infection.

Keep us posted.

3. MCArt20

MCArt20 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank- you for your reply- I went out to take pics today and of course there isn't any blood
    In their poops. So I guess I will just keep an eye out. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by