Small amount of blood in cat's stool?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Nov 24, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our two cats are strictly indoors only. They are UTD on all vaccinations. They've had their routine wormings, which covers just about everything but tapeworms (different med. all together for tapeworms). Negative fecal floats at the beginning of this year.

When we adopted KiKi the siamese a year and a half ago she had a horrible tapeworm infestation. It took three rounds of meds. to get her free of them. KiKi has a sensitive tummy and only does well on one food.

Cleaning the litter box this morning, part of a bowel movement was uncovered and I noticed some bright red blood. Just a small amount, no bigger than a pea.

We weren't planning another vet trip for the cats until January when everyone, dogs and cats, will go for their vaccinations and fecal checks.

We do have to go to the vet next week to get the dogs heartworm preventive. The vet is an hour away and the dogs will have to go to get an accurate weight on each of them. I really don't want to have to try and fit KiKi in the jeep too unless absolutely necessary.

Worry or wait?

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    wait.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeap, me too. Unless she has some other symptoms of something, I'd wait.

Pat

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'd wait, or maybe bring a stool sample and they can check it for worms?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by