Small Australorps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GoChick, Sep 16, 2010.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    So...I spent three years trying to convince DH we needed chickens. He finally kinda agreed to it, so I didn't waste any time and, before he changed his mind, I got 6 chicks! [​IMG]

This is what I got:
    Born on Aug 18
    - 1 Barred Plymouth Rock
    - 2 SLW

Born on Aug 25
    - 1 EE
    - 2 Black Australorp (not bantams)

The EE is now almost the same size as the ones born on Aug 18, but the two Australorps are much smaller!! They are all very active, seem to be very healthy, so I guess I shouldn't worry, but you know how first time moms are... Has anybody experienced the same with Australorps?

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Oh yeah - more questions... -

All my chicks will be 20 weeks old in early January (one week apart). Should I expect them start laying in January or will they only start in the Spring? Could I use a light bulb to add light hours, or should I just let Nature run its course?

thanks!!!!!

3. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I would expect the Barred Rock and the Australorp to start laying right around the 20wk mark..... but the EE's may wait til spring. I've never had SLW, (though I hope to next year), so I don't know about her.

A light will help. Put it on a timer in the coop. Aim for 12hrs of light total (sun/bulb) a day.

4. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    My australorps always seemd smaller than they should have been for their age until they started laying, which has been within the past few weeks. The girls all seem to be filling in nicely now. The one roo I have is still much smaller than I would expect, but he is a mix, sold to me as pure from a hatchery, grrr..... I was really concerned with my barnevelder chicks too as at 10 weeks they were very small. Just this past week I have seen a lot of growth and they are about the size a would expect for their age. [​IMG]

5. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks to both of you!!! I feel muuch better now...

You guys rock!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by