Small backyard birds and chickens coexist?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FlowerFarmer, Mar 25, 2011.

1. FlowerFarmer

FlowerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    We have a smaller backyard and feed birds and squirrels. Was wondering if anyone noticed them dissapearing after the chickens apeared in the yard... or if they still come around for seed and water...? I'm willing to give them up for my flock... just wondering. Thanks!

2. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

They still come around. And the chickens *love* to clean up the bird seed that the wild birds spill! The only thing I notice is that the chickens will chase off the ground feeding birds, but I assume yours will be confined for some period of time and the birds can just eat then. -Wendy

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Yes they love the bits the birds at the feeders throw out. My chickens actually run to the feeder when they see the cardinals fly to it. I think the chickens even made the cardinals know that I'm no threat to them. They sit at the feeder as I feed the chickens in the morning.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The ONLY concern I would have is for the squirrels getting into the coop and nests and eating eggs. They do like 'em!

And a minor things SOME folks worry about is mites and stuff from wild birds getting to your chickens, but there were birds before your chickens and they co-exist with many all over the world. So - IMHO - eh. Not that big a deal.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. I have yet to find a way to keep the wild birds out. In fact, this year as last year I have a wren that has made her nest in the framework of one of my coop doors. The chickens don't seem to mind her being there. I spray her nest down every spring with some mite spray and leave her be. Thank goodness no one is around to see me knocking on the (human) door of my coop before entering. I do it to give mama bird time to fly up into the rafters. [​IMG]

I do have a silkie, Jethro, that hates wild birds. She chases em every chance she gets, no matter how much bigger than her they are. Then again she is a silkie..... [​IMG]

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My chickens get along fine with perching / song birds during winter but latter is generally unable to successfully rear offspring if fledgelings normally spend any amount of time on ground. My chickens eat birds sparrow size and smaller whole and will kill robin size fledglings while trying to consume them.

7. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Small backyard critters
    Often carry mites and lice
    But what can you do

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    As a matter of fact, I think the wild birds are more comfortable around chickens; they seem to know they are safe where the chickens are. We even have a WILD quail hen that chooses to be in the backyard with the chickens. Silly quail...

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Just now combating a lice issue that I think comes from wildbirds. Love them, but beware of the diseases that they bring to your flock.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most of the health issues I have dealt occur in fall when large numbers of songbirds are migrating through. Migrants some even die. usually juveniles. I would not have noticed if not for chickens picking up carcasses. I live in location that appears to be a major refueling stop for warblers. During warm months, direct contact between songbirds and chickens not needed to spread disease, mosquitos are the vectors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by