1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small blood in my chickens egg, is this normal?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by americana-lover, Apr 15, 2012.

1. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Hi! Today, when I opened up the chicken coop, there was a smashed egg on the bottom of the coop, as if a girl had it in her sleep on the roost. There are only 5 girls, so its a small coop. But when I was picking up the egg, there was a small sop of blood!!!! I dont know if this is bad, or if one of my girls is sick or not! Im really worried! This has never happened before, and my girls are a yr old, so please help!

2. ShowYourStuff

ShowYourStuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Yes, that is perfectly normal. It may be a little bigger than normal, or she just doesn't have the hang of it yet.

They can happen with any age, but is extremely common for newbie layers (under 2 years). As long as she seems healthy in other ways I.E drinking, eating, etc. Then she is fine. ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    thank you soooooooo much! Im so happy that its normal! [​IMG]
    I feel so much better!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by