small bloody spots on her back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lisameeks, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lisameeks

lisameeks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    I have nine hens (8 different breeds) who are nine months old. THis is my first flock and things are going well, no issues, no problems, lots of fun and eggs. About a week ago the Silverlaced Wyandotte had what I describe as poofy soft downy grey feathers appear on her back just before her tail feathers. I assumed it was molting. I did notice that if dust, etc got kicked up, it would stick in those downy feathers, but not too bad. I didn't see anyone picking at her, though I have seen a chicken pick at anything unusual on one of her sisters, like a piece of dust, etc. This morning I was out with them and noticed the Silverlaced was balding at that spot and there were a couple of little bloody spots, obviously she's been pecked. I am pretty hands-on with the girls and am confident I've caught this early on. I've watched the flock all morning and I've not seen anyone pecking at her. My plan is to set up a hospital crate/ward in the garage and separate her tonight after they come in to roost and keep her there until she looks better. Nothing else about her behavior looks like she's not feeling well. Also, I have some antibiotic ointment from the vet for my dog's ears. I thought I might smear some of that on the wounds when I move her. Am I doing the right thing? Anything wrong with using the antibiotic (I don't have tar, like some of the other posts suggest). Any other suggestions? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond.

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

it seems like someone doesnt get along with her! I would keep her seprate untill the blood spots go away...or they may peck her more
    Bacitracin ointment is good for any animal that I know of...that is what my vet has given us for our dogs...

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Just be careful of the medicine. I know that anything with benzo in the ingredients can kill a chicken. I use neosporin on mine when they get pecked like that. Seems to help it right away.

Good job...sounds like your on top of it. I have two poor girls that get picked on something horrible. I'm always checking them over.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Make sure not to use neosporin plus.

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Good point. I just use the regular formula.

6. lisameeks

Apr 12, 2008
    Thanks for all who responded. Well, she's safe in her chicken hospital with Neosporine rubbed on her wounds. When I set her down, she cranked her head around and picked at her own sore spot, got a taste of Neosporine and looked surprised. Do chickens pick at themselves and cause sores? I've been watching on and off all day and I've not seen anyone peck her. I've not been through a molt and don't know what to expect.

7. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    If you suspect it may be the other chickens that did this to her, watch the other hens real close. If they start to eat each others feathers start applying a good dab of pine tar on the bald spots ASAP. If you see they are pecking on certain spots go ahead and put a small dab on the same area of the birds that have not been attacked for preventive measure. You can find pine tar in the horse section of the local feed supply store. The pine tar taste bad, will prevent infection and will teach them to leave each other alone. I use the back of a spoon to apply it on them. Make sure to read up on this site for diet, coop, and boredom issues. If you think she is doing this to herself look real close for mites and use pine tar to make her stop. If she has mites you will need to dust her, the other hens and the coop area.

8. lisameeks

Apr 12, 2008
    Thanks Chutewoman. I'll check with my feed store for the pine tar and take your advice. I've never seen anyone peck at anyone but I'll be on the lookout and ready if I see this type of behavior. I don't think this hen's problem was caused by boredom or space. I move bales of hay around in their coop to give them something to investigate, vary their treats and the space requirements are adequate. I'm not sure about molting issues or how to know if they have mites. I'll check the posts, but if you know, are they suppose to molt in Dec/Jan? I'm in Cincinnati and it's been cold. Molting seems like something they should do in spring. I put a heat lamp in the coop when wind chill outside got below zero so that the temp in there stayed between 34-40. Have I faked them out that it's spring? And the mites. How obvious are mites? I pat them all the time but I've never exposed their skin. How hard do you have to look to see mites? I have wildbird feeders within 4 feet of the coop. If I find mites, is that the possible source?

9. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    mites are very small black bugs about the size of a pin head, maybe smaller. If you lift her feathers up and look real close you will see them if she has them, they will just be crawling around. Also check around her vent they lay eggs in the downy fluff on their bottoms. Mites are just another bug outside, I do not think they have to come in on a wild bird, but most all wild birds have them, so who knows. :eek:) I usually spray ortho home defense (others use different products) in the cracks and under the thick hay in the nest boxes and on the roof of the inside of the coop. This will kill any small bug that crawls across it. It says it will kill for 12 months but I do it about every 3 months. Make sure not to spray anything they will come in physical contact with like the floor or the roost and don't leave the chickens, the feed or water in the area you are treating. Wait until after it has dried.
    Molting can occur any time of the year from what I have read on this site, has she lost any more feathers since you separated her, if not then the other hens probably did it. If she is doing this to herself and does not have bugs then it may be she is molting. I do not think you can bring it on by keeping the coop above freezing, it is a hormonal thing.

10. lisameeks

Apr 12, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your help. I checked. No mites. The wounds are looking much better. Seems like small quills appearing. I think she must have plucked at her own molting feathers. One more day in the chicken hospital and I think she'll be ready to join her sisters. It's funny to hear her call to her sisters in the coop and they'll run to the coop door and squawk because they hear her. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by