fuzz

Songster
12 Years
Aug 4, 2007
Ohio
9rabbitry2-1.jpg

9rabbitry.jpg
9rabbitry3.jpg

This is our rabbitry, most of our rabbits are in the shed, so that cannot be the coop, but the fenced in area seems like a good Idea, I though I could build a small coop 6x4' for 4 chickens/hens only:) to go in the corner not currentally occupying a hutch. First pic, the biggest corner. Or turning the biggest hutch into a coop because the chickens would be free range and be sheltered, not sure if the bantams ar free range chickens, could they escape over the fence? its sheltered from predators and all I need is a small coop for extra shelter from rain, snow etc? I am very new at this and don't have much money for an expensive coop.
Thanks, Megan:)

Last edited:
Just convert a rabbit hutch into a coop. They wont be safe from most predators when free ranging. My first thought with your situtation is hawks. Bantams or standards might be able to fly over...you could keep there wings clipped to help with that, although they may still be able to "jump" over.

Nice set up though. The chickens will fit right in!

Thanks, I was afraid the bantys would fly over, where would I be able to have someone, vet or me clip the wings?

I like the hutch Idea, I will try to do that to lower the expenses too! If not I don't mind the coop idea in the corner!

Thanks Everyone!

Megan

Here's a suggestion regarding the rabbit hutches. We converted one of our set of rabbit hutches into a brooder for whenever we get little ones or as a hospital for a sick or injured bird. We put plyboard or pressed board over the wire floor. It's a personal thing, but lots of time the chickens feet will become crippled or ruined if allowed to walk on wire floor indefinitely. The hutches make great homes for the chickens, but you have to take into account how big your chicken(s) will be. Bantams you won't have a problem with....just how many is the question. Best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out and make sure you include some pictures.

My banty's can fly over my 6 foot fence....
barnie.gif
but at least I'm thankful that they usually choose not to.

I think 1 hutch should be fine for 5-6 bantys, by the way, and it looks like a nice yard for them to range.

We just started a small rabbitry, and want to enlarge. The lady I got the rabbits from is very disappointed with the way I do things, namely the hutch. Her concerns seem valid, but i would like to ask you about your hutch. Do you have wire floors? I have wood floors, and am going to be changinf them out to wire this week. Your design seems very similar to mine, and she was wanting me to put in more ventilation for a cross breeze. Do you have any other opening in your hutch besides the doorway? And may I ask how long you have been doing rabbits? I'm trying to read and do all I can to learn, as we would like to expand to about 30 animals, eventually.

Thanks for any reply, and hope it helps with the bantys! Go for it!

Your set-up looks great!!!

For not too much money, you could use one of your hutches.

How about making it kinda like a playhouse coop. Enclose the bottom for a small run while they are locked up. You will have to cut plywood pieces to cover floor & doors. Make them removable for the summer (door covers). I recommend leaving the floor solid on one side at least, year around. I think it would be better to have the whole floor covered, but if you can't do that all at once, make sure you do one side. You would have to cut a hole in the bottom wire to attach a ramp going to ground.
Make sure you make a door so you can get to bottom area.

Put a roost in the side you want to keep covered, you can use one of your rabbit nest boxes for a nest, you will only need 1 for the amount of hens you want.
My chickens are always laying in the rabbit nest boxes we store on top of each cage when not in use.

Chickens love to scratch & play under the rabbits. They keep the smell down too. Our chickens keep our spilled rabbit pellets eaten, & scratch in the poo, so it doesn't get wet & stinky.

When talking about banty's. You didn't say what kind of bantys you wanted. Cochins & Silkies don't fly high at all. They are cute & friendly. They lay a larger egg than the Old English varieties (which fly extremely well).

These are just my ideas. Hope they help you.
Jean

Back
Top Bottom