small chick crop issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silverbk, Mar 14, 2017.

1. silverbk

silverbk New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I have a Bielefelder chick about 3 weeks old. Today I noticed she is much smaller then her hatch mates. When I picked her up I noticed her crop was swollen and squishy, like full of liquid.

After reading through the posts, I vomited her and about half a teaspoon of yellow goo came out. I cannot feel anything hard. She has only been in the brooder with access to organic chick starter and water, as well as wood chips and poo. I still have her in the brooder with the other chicks. I will be watching to see if she takes food.

I suspect that this has been going on for a couple of days due to her smaller size.

Do I need to pull her out? Will the yogurt trick help?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have never seen a sour crop in a chick this age before. They tend to be full most of the time at this age. However crops can be slow to function if they are having coccidiosis, which can be a problem in this age and older. Be careful about vomiting a chick since it can result in choking to death. I would look at poops for mucus or any blood. Runny poops with mucus, lethargy, poor appetite, standing around puffed up or hunched are signs of cocci. Cocci is treated with Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5 to 7 days. It is powder or liquid obtained from feed stores. Here is a link to read about coccidiosis:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Have you provided any granite grit?.....possibly it needs grit if it has been eating the shavings...Put it in a separate bowl free choice.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by