small chick order ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bisqit&Gravy, May 21, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm such a worry wart...haha. I was just about to place my order for 10 bantams then stopped. All I can think is I'm gonna end up with 10 roos.
    Any one with a small order and actually got some hens? Should I just stop worrying and order?..hahaha

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Order them from MPC...they have a sexing fee for bantams but at least you can order small numbers and get what you want.

http://www.mypetchicken.com

With straight run, you never know what you will get, all you can do is cross your fingers.

3. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    I checked them out and shipping is too high. Plus they don't have what I want.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh okay...at least you checked. You know why shipping is so high? They charge an extra small order fee...they send them with a little nest sorta and a heating pad under it to keep them warm because of not having the large number of chicks with them for warmth.

To me, if I wanted sexed bantams in small numbers...they are the way to go. Sorry they did not have what you wanted. Good luck with getting your babies.

5. KPort Chick

KPort Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Maine
    I ordered my 2 1/2 week old chicks from My Pet Chicken (4 buffs and 2 silkies). There was no extra shipping charge (except for the small order fee). In fact, I had ordered some supplies with the chick order, and the shipping was outrageous. They called me back and credited me. I was very pleased with MPC. They all came alive and healthy in a little nest and heat pack.

6. HMK123

HMK123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2007
    In addition to the small order fee ($25) for the special box an heating pad, they also ship express and not priority... My 5 chicks (sexed pullets, but not banties) including shipping cost $57.44...

That is $11.49 each...

Pretty expensive, but how much of a hassel is it to have to deal with 10 roos? And build a couple seprate places for them? And how much will you pay in feed if you get 25 when you only really want 5?

I was happy to find them. They serve a very good purpose...

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You can order from Meyer hatchery too...they have a small order program but they are not sexing bantams.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I am new to chickens too, and living in the city, and did the ordering "on again, off again" dance, too. I think I was afraid to take the jump. Buuuuutttttt -

I rec'd a sexed, small order from MPC last week. While the shipping fee is high (because of the warming unit) and my ship date got pushed almost 4 weeks, I am happy to report that all of my chicks arrived alive and very healthy. I had two with pasty butt for 1 day and that's it. I am very pleased and would order again from them in an instant. Even with the high shipping. Maybe I'm just a bit neurotic, but I was worried sick while they were in transit. I had a "shipping date" and couldn't quit obsessing about their arrival until I finally got the call from my mailman.

Saving a few bucks and getting a straight run or a standard order of 25, especially when you only want 10 chickens, then to find out that 8 of them are roos and have to go seems like *too much hassle*.... Plus I have grown attached to my new babies and re-homing them (or eating them) because of code enforcements doesn't sound appealing right now.

Good Luck!

9. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    it's not the shipping that's high with MPC, it's the shipping pack. i decided to bump up from 9 chicks to 15, just to make the shipping pack fee go down. i won't be getting my babies for a while (picky order of multiple breeds) so i can't speak to the end result yet, but the communication has been fabulous and i'd recommend the process to anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by