Small chicken, big family - recipe ideas?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Nickeechickee, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    So our latest rooster went off to the butcher...and the remaining carcass is only about 3.5 pounds. Last time I had a small bird I simply boiled the meat off, picked the bones out, and added it to soup. Any suggestions on what to do with this guy? He was a young bird (about 15 weeks) so should be plenty tender...looking for something delicious and not boring.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Enchiladas. Stretch the meat with beans or rice or cheese and you'll have enough for a meal.

I'd say any casserole type meal, if you're not doing soup. Or, chicken salad and just use him for lunch instead of dinner.

4. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    OT but what kind of chicken is in your avatar? I've never seen one like that before (and am working on my spring wish list). :)

5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Those spring wish lists are dangerous aren't they. She is a Mille Fleur d'Anver, hatched her from eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams, not sure if that specific color is available from hatcheries. Almost the same thing, but with feathered feet are the Mille Fleur d"Uccles, a lot of the big hatcheries do carry them. I love the color.

6. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    Neat! She is a very pretty color, very distinctive. Since I have mostly production birds now I want some pretty ones in the spring.
    Since I'm all about convenience - do you think I could just cook everything together in the crockpot all day, then fish the bones out and add the noodles when I got home?

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    CHicken pot pie!!

Can be a complicated or easy recipe.

Instant mash potatos w/ milk, cream butter, salt, pepper

Stew the meat/bird, using onions, carrots, etc. pick and strain and thicken broth if desired.

Use frozen mixed veg in bottom of casserole, add meat and pour on gravy or broth, and cover with mashed potatos and bake.

Easy to make when I had little ones, many small steps that could handle interuptions.

9. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That Chicken Pot Pie is delicious and fast to make, forgot all about it, thanks for reminding me, now I know what dinner tomorrow will be :) Good with hamburger also.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Good with a pie crust too. Guess the first one is really Shepards Pie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by