Small chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Emojikitten, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Emojikitten

Emojikitten Chirping

Mar 26, 2017
    I have a six-month-year-old black sex link hen that is very small. I was looking online at black sex links and I noticed that most of them are bigger than Ash (the black sex link). I would understand that she's young, but her sister who is a golden wyandotte the same age as her is bigger than the pictures online for her breed. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be giving her more nutrients? Should I stop worrying? I want to make sure Ash is growing normal so she doesn't get sick or hurt.

snow5164 likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Do you have pictures? Sometimes a bird is just a runt. Sometimes there's something wrong internally that keeps them from growing properly. Time will tell. All you can do is feed them a good quality grower and house them properly, and let them exercise.

3. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    My polish pullet is oddly small, but she is completely healthy. She gets a good amount of protein and a mixed diet, but she is just tiny. Every chicken is different.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are you sure yours isn't a bantam?

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Entirely possible she's just runty. I have an EE that's just always been smaller than everyone else, but she's very active with a big personality so it's just her body that's tiny.

snow5164 and [email protected] like this.
  6. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

I have a tiny (standard) silver laced Wyandotte with a straight comb and she seems in perfect health. However, my only loss so far was a tiny (standard) new Hampshire red. Always wondered if her small size was a factor. She got EYP at one year old, but was top hen and the best layer before that. One vet did find she had a broken keel bone. No idea how that happened, but wondered if perhaps she damagedher shell gland at the same time.
    So after that long winded answer, I think your girl is probably fine. Enjoy her!

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It may be an internal issue, and she may die early. Nothing you can do, but make sure that she has a good life as long as possible.

8. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Manitoba , Canada zone 3a
    I had a real tiny Rhode Island Red , she had a nasty case of pasty butt as a chick , we spent a lot of time together by the kitchen sink bathing and grooming:)

I loved her so much , but suddenly she blended in with the others she was just a slow starter , no health issues for her !!

I’d make sure you have a couple of food and water stations so your “ tiny “ gets a chance to eat :)

9. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Yes, she isn’t SO small that she could be considered a bantam. It also might be that she’s my only girl Polish, and since her siblings were both boys, they were always bigger. Either way, I don’t think she’s a bantam.

snow5164 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: