Small chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What causes small chicks? Even though I hatched D'Uccles they appear small to me. I seems that my chicks have been small when I hatch them compared to my layers I by at Meyer. What can cause this?
    Not a very good picture, They hatched one on Friday and one on Saturday. Let me say it again horrible pic, My dogs and cat were trying to get to close hen I took it. The chicks are fine eating and drinking

[​IMG]

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    My bantam chicks are always really really tiny compared to standard chicks. Hope thats what you mean... [​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No they are from the same batch of eggs. The Black Mottled is smaller then the Blue and way smaller the the Mille I got from the hatchery to keep a Silkies company. I was just wondering if it was something I did incorrect in hatching?
    Michele

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Were the eggs the same size when you incubated them? If you're comparing chicks from a hatchery v chicks from a breeder, it could be that the breeder chicks adhere more closely to a bantam standard compared to hatchery chicks that might run on the large side.

Make sure your hens have excellent nutrition if you intend to hatch their eggs. Poor nutrition could lead to weaker and smaller chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by