small chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ohsocutechicken, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ohsocutechicken

ohsocutechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I got 5 chicks from a local farmer about a week ago, he told me they we're 3days old, born on MLK day... And that they we're americana... Easter Eggers.

Well 2 of the 5 are about half the size of the other chicks (have always been smaller) they eat, drink and have gotten wing feathers like the others but are still smaller compared to the others.

Are there "runt" chickens? Or maybe its a gender thing... Or even a been thing ?? Or they could have even hatched later and he just didn't tell me ??

There seem to be no other differences between them besides the size and one of the bigger chicks has some tail feathers starting , no bloated bellies or anything, I've searched threads ... But have found nothing ... Any thoughts ?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicken can vary in size. Sex sometimes plays a role. Breeding can often play a role in size as well. Also, there are large fowl or standard size chickens and then there also bantam chickens. Think miniature. Any of these possibilities could be the reason.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by