Small Comb during winter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by little_giant, Dec 12, 2010.

1. little_giant

little_giant Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    My 2 cornish cross chickens(both 1.5 years old) had large red combs during the summer and now they have very small, light reddish combs. Does this mean anything? It is getting closer to the winter and it is getting much colder. The average temperature right now is 32 F. I dont remember the combs being this small last winter. Is this a problem or is it natural for this to happen?

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Is there any blood or discoloration? And how big of a change is it? If it is just a small change and there is no discoloration or blood, I wouldnt worry. Make sure no one is pecking at it.

3. little_giant

Apr 26, 2009
    Not really discoloaration but they bleed sometimes. They have some black blood on their faces(near the mouth).
    the change is big. They act normal. They eat a lot (they are very fat) they drink and walk well too. No ones pecking them but i dont know how they bleed.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As the daylength shortens hormone production lessens. What you are noticing is a natural reduction in secondary sex characteristics (comb size and color.) As the day length increases the combs and wattles on your hens will enlarge and become brighter colored. Oh yeah, they will start laying again too. They are just chickens doing the normal chicken thing.

5. little_giant

Apr 26, 2009
    OH!!! Thank You! Now I'm relieved [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by