1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small Coop & Dirt Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BF2014, Sep 22, 2016.

1. BF2014

BF2014 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Central Florida
    I have designed a small coop and plan on having it directly on the ground (dirt floor with deep litter). It seems that most "small" coops are elevated, while large ones are typically on the ground (for logistical reasons I sure). Is there any reason to shy away from having a small coop on the ground? When I say small, I'm talking about a coop for 3-4 chickens. I'm located in central Florida and although we are the "sunshine state", we get our fair share of heavy showers. I plan on having it in a more elevated location where run off & drainage should not be an issue. I was also thinking that during winter months, radiating warmth from the ground would help stabilize temps.
    The coop will be surrounded by electric poultry netting, approx. 20x20ft area.

2. DevilsRival

DevilsRival New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    From my reading, having the chickens on dirt with bedding isn't a problem. That's how I have mine in their temporary coop. The problem I see is your bottom boards may rot prematurely. If you buy treated and paint it then you should be good for a while. We have a lot of fire ants so I have to be vigilant that they don't get to the chickens. The bigger coop I'm working on is elevated so I don't have to deal with those issues.

3. BF2014

Sep 1, 2015
    Central Florida
    Im not intending to have any bottom boards at all. My coop would have an open floor with earth dirt ground & deep litter wood shavings.
    One reason for this is if I were to elevate the coop, it will take away from the coops appearance ( will post pictures of coop soon ). The second reason is allowing the radiating heat from the ground to help during winter months. A third reason might be the ease of just picking up the coop and moving it, leaving the old litter exposed and easily cleaned up without reaching in and through the coop to clean it out. Just simply pick up the coop and move it leaving litter behind on the ground.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think they meant bottom of the wall boards where they touch the ground.

Can be easier for diggers and slitherers to get in, 1/2" hardware cloth apron can help with that,
    but that could preclude picking it up and moving to clean, unless you make apron hinged.

5. BF2014

Sep 1, 2015
    Central Florida
    Gotcha, my coop is plastic so no rotting Wood issues there. As for the hardware cloth, im sure I could figure something out that would help fend off monsters in the night.
    What about locking up the coop at night? Seeing that I will have electric netting, can I let them come and go to coop as they please?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depends on how confident you are with your electro netting.......I'd want to use a good fence tester before taking that risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by