Small coop ideas/enough room?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StarLover21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok, so we have a old rabbit hutch that we kept one rabbit in awhile ago. Then we turned it into a chicken coop, for our two hens. Now we have four more pullets. Its a pretty small coop, and they'd have to be all crammed in there...so, is it enough room? I'm thinking maybe we should build another coop. Are there any cheap, simple coop ideas anybody has with room for four hens and a run? I've looked at the coop designs here...but everythings too fancy.
    Thanks!

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    It sounds like it is too small. What are the dimensions? Most BYCers recommend AT LEAST 4sq. ft. coop space per standard larger chickens but this is only if they have at least 10 sq. ft. of space per chicken in the run. Is there any way to add onto the existing hutch you have to keep costs down?

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    They have alot of space in the run...this is only for sleeping, but very small...I'll try to get the dimensions in the morning.

4. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    If you could wait until the weekend, I could go take picture of my chicken coop for you to see. Its not fancy. Building material are cheap and your have enough room for alot of chickens. Let me know if you want to see it.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Consider using free wooden pallets! Search for pallet coop on here and check it out.

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    This is my current one and it's barely big enough for my three chickens... they have plenty of room in the run (not the attached one in the pic - I have fenced off a much larger area for them), but when they sleep it's all a bit too cosy so I'm building a bigger one.

If yours is anywhere near that size there's no way you'd be able to have 6 chickens in there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    well hold trio of standard birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by