Small coop pics and ideas please!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bantamboy, Aug 31, 2014.

1. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    I'm wanting to build something small for just a few chickens to put in my backyard at my new home. Would love some ideas. I would like to have it with the coop and run all made into one structure if that makes any sense. Need to incorporate a couple nesting boxes too. Don't need a bunch cause ill only have a few chickens

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Consider a small tractor. They're easy to keep clean and the chickens love it. Look at mine. It is bigger than you need but just build smaller. It has been great.

Click coop in my signature to see how I built it.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Ahhh, the eternal question...."how many is a few?" !! [​IMG] Without knowing the actual number of chickens you want to have, it's really hard to help out. Have you visited the Coop/Run Design, Construction, Maintenance thread yet?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

There are literally thousands of posts with pictures of what other chicken people have built...some are mansions, others are made with free recycled pallets...tons of info and ideas in there...BUT!

Put on a huge pot of coffee because you can literally spend days in there...really!! [​IMG]

Wishing you well in whatever way you decide to go!

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I'm having something like that built. 4x6 coop loft, 6x10 attached run. This is the base model my custom one will based on.

[​IMG]

5. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    I was thinking three to four. Five at the most

6. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    Love this idea. How hard are they to clean? Any ideas on feeders and such for this type?

7. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Easy to clean out, as the door is high enough to just rake into a wheel barrow or green bin. I'll be using an automatic nipple waterer and a treadle feeder. Want it to be self sustaining enough to be able to go to the lake for a long weekend without worrying.

8. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Haha a few! Chicken fever will set in... Click on my name and you can see our coop. We wanted 4 or 5 like you mentioned *cough* now it's 17... So we started with a 4x3 coop and small run. 4 nesting boxes and boy am I glad we did 4 nesting boxes! That saved a lot of building later. Go bigger than you think

9. 4kidsandafarm

4kidsandafarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    East Stroudsburg pa

[​IMG]

We are so proud of our coop. I designed, my husband built and hand painted.

10. 4kidsandafarm

4kidsandafarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    East Stroudsburg pa

The white fencing you see is flexible lattice that has stands so we can confine them in large circle anywhere in yard. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by