Small coop/ tractor questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fire, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Fire

Fire Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    Im building a small coop 4x3 elevated with 2 nest boxes on the outside. It has a gabled roof and the back opens to clean it out. Ive got the frame, roosts and nestboxes done. Im a little unsure how much ventilation I need. I was going to make the peaked parts fold open but thats right on the level of the roost. I got to thinking if it was summer and I had them open the birds would be right in the vent so if a storm popped up or something they may get wet. Would I be better off with some kind of a ridge fan and vents on the bottom? Any other ideas for ventilation. My roof is going to be recycled tin. I can still put 1/4 plywood under it if you all think just the tin would be too hot.
    Thanks

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    what part of the country are you in and what kind of summer and winter temps do you have?

3. Fire

Fire Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    I live in NW Missouri we have hot humid summers and cold winters. Not uncommon to have days over 100 degrees with 90% humidity and in winter to get below zero a few times a year.

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I'm in WV and we left a smalll gap between the sides of the coop section and the roof. Because its a tractor, we move it depending on weather conditions. We can move to shaded area if too hot or to a leeward side of a building if windy and stormy. We used the corrugated plastic roofing because its cheaper than tin here and didn't rust. I think it might weigh less too.

you might want to make your ventilation at the top, like a ridge vent so they aren't right in the draft, or lower your roost if possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by