Small Coop Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennyf, Apr 6, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Building a 4x3 (3 foot tall) coop as a grow-out area, and possibly an iso/time out area if I have any future integration issues. It sits within a 8x12 with 6 foot fence privacy fenced area, so it should be pretty protected from wind for the most part. I've been staring at this thing for a week trying to figure out what do about ventilation. Pretty much anything up high is going to be blowing on a chicken head (unless I make roosts really low). Should I just stick with a couple of windows on the sides away from perches? Or go with two windows, but also add vents I can board up at head level (ish)? I had to keep it smaller so I could get it back through a gate.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Sorry that I am not able to answer your question; we have a kinder climate where chickens are concerned [except for the risk of heat stroke/exhaustion] and a large coop with adequate ventilation but I am sure that others will come along with some good tips for you. I just wanted to mention that some pictures of what you have so far will help them out.

Also, this is a great article on ventilation if you want to check it out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Here it is! Blank slate! :)

It's getting at least two windows that will open, one on the front (side with the pop door) and I'm thinking one on the human coop access door (which is the open side I'm taking the photo from. The back wall is up against a brick wall. I was thinking I would put the roosts as drawn in, but then do I need to do anything about ventilation at roost head height? If I do, it's going to be blowing on heads.

TIA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by