Small Coop with a Deck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My mother has decided to keep a Trio of my Muscovy ducklings. She has a big yard and I would like for her to also have a nice little coop for them to lay, sleep, get out of the weather, and also keep their food in. I saw a cute little coop that a fellow BYC'er posted but since it was fully enclosed I was wondering about adding a deck to it so they would be able to lounge & nap safely but without having to be inside the coop (I know some of mine prefer to sleep outside). Also, it will probably be a raised coop so it'll be easier to clean.

So, what are your opinions of adding a Deck to a small, raised duck coop?
    Do any of you already have a coop with a deck?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
  3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:Wow, talk about spoiled.

4. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    I do! It's actually meant to house a dog. Has an insulated house part with a window and a door out to an enclosed porch type area. It has regular chain link fencing so I added hardware cloth along the bottom. I uploaded pics once before, let me see if I can find them. Now that it's very cold and windy here, we've used plastic ties to attach plexiglass around the fence so they can hang out there and the snow and rain don't blow in. The plexiglass doesn't go all the way to the top so we still get good air circulation.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

No kidding! very snazzy little coop & i love the whole heated ceiling idea, I wonder how long the tape would hold up though? seems like it would fall after a while.

6. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a room at the end where I keep their food and a bale of hay or bedding. Inside has this smooth material, I forget what it's called. I can just hose it out.

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I thought that heat rope was really cool. I might get some for the seramas I'll be bringing home this weekend. The same website also had heat tape. I think you could make a really cool heated roost with either of those. I think cable staples would be a good alternative to the electrical tape.

8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Sort of - mine is up a couple of inches and sitting on OUR deck and they have been 'fenced' off from the rest of the deck so they only get their side to poop on and hang out on

[​IMG]

They hang out on the deck for a while during the day and then snooze outside their house until I go out and close them in for the night.

9. Quote:That's cute how they're all standing there looking at YOUR side of the deck!
    But I guess they know not to go there now! LOL!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by