1. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    So....I am having a small chicken coop being built. It is 28wX 32L X 3 1/2 H. This does not include the nesting boxes. It will also have a 3 1/2 H X 2 1/2 w X 5ft Long Run.
    My question is is it big enough for 2 hens. Also do delaware chickens do well in central texas. Just wondering about the heat. It's like 105 here right now.
    Thanks
    Debbie from texas

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I think the coop and run should be larger if you have the room. The height is good. The foot print should be at least 3x4 for 2 birds. You might hear min 2 sf per bird for coop. While that is true for a larger flock, 4-sf or 6-sf is not enough for 2 birds.

Also, if you have the room, it would be wise to build big enough for twice the number of birds you want. Chicken math happened to too many of us.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I think it will be just fine! I have Eglus, which are smaller than 4sq feet per bird and my chickens are happy and healthy. Now, my girls get a lot of free range time outside of their walk in run, but that's also personal preference.

Oh, as for the Delawares, mine personally has already had heat stroke in the hot CA sun. Texas is even hotter. However, that might be my own personal experience only. I know my RIR is doing great in the hot weather, even seems to enjoy it. Also, my Buff Orpington doesn't seem to mind the heat either nor does my Barred Rock. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. Missbehavin

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Well called the guy who's building it. Decided to go with 4 x 4

5. Missbehavin

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Wow, sorry to hear that about your birds.
    deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by