Small Cornish X @ 7 weeks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MoriahQuilts, Sep 15, 2011.

1. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    We have 20 (what were purchased as) Cornish X that are more than 7 weeks old. They seem VERY small compared to what I'm reading about others, and very big difference in size from what look like obvious roos and hens. The 8 which are larger are probably 3-4 times the size of the smaller ones. I'm wondering if the hens might be leghorns that got mixed up at the feed store. They've been on 24% protein starter/grower feed free choice. We were hoping to raise them large for roasters. Any ideas?

Working on attaching photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

To me they look small, but I still really new to this too.. Your pen looks really clean.. That seems strange for meaties? Did you just clean it? Please don't think I keep my a pig sty.. But Meaties really poop alot and everywhere.

Also any 7 week old meatie I've ever had, would not be jumping up on a box that high..

Anyone else?

3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:The top ones are white leghorns and the bottom ones look like small cornish x.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with OSUman, those on top the trough and the box are not cornish X. At seven weeks, mine are weighing 7-8lbs and don't move around very much. I feed chick starter all the way till the end for my meaties. [​IMG]

5. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    This is my first time with cornish x, minds are weighing at almost 8 1/2 pounds at 7 weeks, the ones in your top pic do not look like cornish to me

6. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    The good thing is the ones on the top are pullets [​IMG]........
    Still not positive that the ones on the bottom are CX

7. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote:Same here...Just roosters of the same sort of the ones on the box and trough. The legs are big but not huge and they're really nicely feathered out, even on the underside. I'd call and see if you can get a refund or credit. And then be happy that you just got a bunch of free birds! [​IMG]

8. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    top-white leghorns
    bottem ones look like cornish X or some other meat breed?

9. MoriahQuilts

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    Quote:MeatKing - I haven't cleaned it since I put them in that stall from the brooder about 5 weeks ago. The small ones are flying up to the top of a 4 foot panel that separates them from the Red Broilers, which I also thought would have more meat on them by now... I think the smaller ones are about the size of the laying hens I got this spring at the same age.

10. MoriahQuilts

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    Quote:Same here...Just roosters of the same sort of the ones on the box and trough. The legs are big but not huge and they're really nicely feathered out, even on the underside. I'd call and see if you can get a refund or credit. And then be happy that you just got a bunch of free birds! [​IMG]

I was afraid of that! I have 19 layers that we got this spring - 16 eggs yesterday - our record! I don't need, nor really have room for 12 more - I'm worried about them not having room when the snow starts - the outside run is not covered. They were on clearance at the feed store - 50cents a piece, so I only paid $10 - I doubt they would refund. Its the time that I've spent with chicks that gets me. And we were looking forward to having the "meatie" experience, comparing Cornish to Red Bros. Hub built a processing station in a stall of the barn with cones, scalder, and a plucker out of a washing machine! We've done some roos already and it was slick. This is disappointing.

Thanks for all your comments tho. I didn't know where else to get the answer - and you guys always have it! This is a great thing for beginners like us! Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by