Small Coturnix Eggs

Robo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Knoxville,TN
Today I walked out to the quail cages and I got a coturnix egg sbout the size of a small marble. I have gotten a few of them every 3 or so days. They still have a yolk and a white, but I don't think I should hatch them. Any ideas on why I am getting these?

You should take a picture of the egg and post it on here. It's hard to believe that this is a Coturnix egg. Some Chinese Button Quail look almost identical to the Coturnix breed.... so if you've hatched both and raised together, maybe there was a mistake in separation?

I do have a mixed hatch right now and one of my buttons yet again looks like a Coturnix.

It is a coturnix egg for sure. It is speckled and I have no buttons in that pen. I don't have a pic of it because I busted them open to see if they had yolks.

It sounds like a fart egg. Usually young hens will lay those until they get things 'straightened out'; Older hens will also lay them at the start of the season. Most likely it has either no yolk or no white. It's just something that happens, no need to be alarmed
smile.png

Marble size.... hmmm....

No clue. Not the protein because they would either not lay an egg at all, or it would be extremely fragile.

Quote:
I was thinking the only other "guess" I would have is if the hen was extremely new to laying.

It has a yolk and egg white. It is a really young hen laying it though. She is one of the 15 week old manchurians I think.

Back
Top Bottom