1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small coup big yard??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cluckenchicken, Apr 22, 2016.

1. cluckenchicken

cluckenchicken New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Grand Lake , Louisiana
    I am trying to caculate how many chickens I can have in my yard. My coup is 10 × 10 and their yard is about 30 × 55 feet. How many chickens can I have with out crowding them. I want them to comfortable. I have two roos and 14 hens right now and they get along just fine. I'd like to add one more roo but I know I'll need to add more hens for him. Any advice will help. And none of my roos or hens are old enough to know better. Between 6 weeks and 3 months in ages.thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    a car style is a coup, a chicken house is a coop. your coop has enough room for 25 birds, and I really don't know if you want chickens living in your coup[​IMG] however your run has enough room for 165 birds,

1 person likes this.
  3. cluckenchicken

cluckenchicken New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Grand Lake , Louisiana
    What do you mean by "living in my coup" ? And "car style" ?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    ok I was trying to be funny but explaining it ruins it, since a coup is a style of car you don't want chickens living in your car, maybe I have a different sense of humor than you do but I thought it was funny.
    [​IMG]

5. cluckenchicken

cluckenchicken New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Grand Lake , Louisiana
    Bahaha ok i got it!!! Omg too funny! I'm going to remember that! !!!

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I would not advise getting the maximum number of birds possible - the 10 sq ft per bird is a minimum space requirement. A smaller, relaxed flock is likely to give you much more pleasure and less trouble than packing chickens into your yard like sardines in a can.

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't add a rooster - because despite being young YES, they will know there is another rooster. If you get more hens for a new rooster, you will need a bigger (or second coop).
    If your roosters plan on fighting each other you will have to divide into two flocks. Unless you plan to hatch a lot of chicks or sell fertile eggs, you don't need any roosters and the hens would be much happier without them.

9. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    thanks for the reminder I forgot to add that, but cluckenchicken you don't need another roo, one roo can easily cover 10-15 hens, so you are good on roos because if you maxed out on 25 that would be 3 roos for 22 hens you would probably end up with some bare backed hens as a result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by