small crack in chick egg at day 17

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spruce creek, Feb 20, 2017.

1. spruce creek

spruce creek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    We noticed a small crack in one of our chick eggs this morning, they are on day 17 in the incubator and a tiny amount of clear liquid was seeping out of the crack. I thought it was a dead one but when I went to candle it the liquid was gone, I think it went onto the thermometer when the egg turner moved, and I could not find the crack. Even when I candled it I could not see any crack but there is a chick in there and its moving. Not sure what to do now! Do I take it out incase it explodes and infects my other eggs? or leave it in there? I am getting ready to remove egg turner at go into lock down tomorrow.

2. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    It may be that your incubator thermostat is off and the incubator is warmer than expected. That would trigger an early hatch. Sounds like that chick is starting to pip. I would remove the egg turner and lock down now.

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    Agree... Don't remove it, and lockdown now.

4. spruce creek

Feb 20, 2017
    So I candled it again to see if I could see the crack, I was going to put some beeswax on it if I could find it, couldn't find it, but I did notice the chick is moving less and and all the black mass is at the bottom(small end) of the egg farthest from the air sac? is this a sign of it dying or just that it has moved?
    I was thinking of going into lock down now too, thanks for the help, at the very least Iwas thinking I should increase the humidity? This is my first hatch.

5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    No beeswax! If it is a pip, you don't want to cover it.

Need pics, but it might be drawing down and getting ready to hatch. Where on the egg did you see the crack?

6. spruce creek

Feb 20, 2017
    The crack was about a 1/2 inch long I think, maybe less and vertical from about mid egg going up towards the top.

7. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    Hmm.. odd

Too late in incubation to do anything 'cept wait and hope. It's very unlikely to explode if it ends up going kaput, so it's safest to leave it.... :fl

8. spruce creek

Feb 20, 2017
    I was going to ask about that, how likely are bad eggs to explode? We culled a few that were looking like quitters but I am reluctant to give up on one I saw move this morning. I also read bantams sometimes hatch early? The hen the eggs are from is supposed to be a cross with bantam and Rhode Island red, at a guess from previous owner. She's not very big but is very tame and a good egg layer. My power just went out to add to it! Never hooked the generator up so fast before!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  9. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    You usually have plenty of warning. If there was movent today, it's not going to go bad between now and hatch, I think.
    Yes, I have had bantams hatch day 18 before.

10. spruce creek

Feb 20, 2017
    Thanks for all your help, we're now on lockdown!! Fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by