Small CX's. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sheetmetalpete, Jun 1, 2012.

1. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I had over 100 straight run CX's from Hoover's Hatchery processed earlier this week. The were just over 8 weeks old. They were all over the board in size but the vast majority dressed out in the 3 1/2 pound range. All were very healthy and active for CX's. The inspector even commented on how clean and nice they appeared despite their size.

I gave them chick starter for about 3 weeks then switched them to a home mix broiler grower (lionsgrip recipe). Two years ago I followed the same routine and they dressed out at about a 6 pound dressed average.

Did I do something wrong or did I have a funky strain of CX's?

2. Sounds like your recipe resulted in a nutrient deficiency. The internet recipes rely on static nutrient contents of the ingredients and are formulated for protein content not amino acids.

3. Buster52

Buster52 Songster

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma

What would you recommend as a good source of amino acids, Lazy J?

I like the price of milled feed, but I'm concerned about the results. I'm thinking you hit on my weak spot.

4. kizanne

kizanne Songster

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm confused. Help me out (not being sarcastic). Your saying they were a nice big healthy weight before butchering like 7 to 8 lbs but they dressed out at 3 1/2?

Or what do you mean by over the board in size?

5. Buster52

Buster52 Songster

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Various weights.

You might have read 8 pounds when he said 8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: