Small CX's. Ideas?

sheetmetalpete

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
Central Minnesota
I had over 100 straight run CX's from Hoover's Hatchery processed earlier this week. The were just over 8 weeks old. They were all over the board in size but the vast majority dressed out in the 3 1/2 pound range. All were very healthy and active for CX's. The inspector even commented on how clean and nice they appeared despite their size.

I gave them chick starter for about 3 weeks then switched them to a home mix broiler grower (lionsgrip recipe). Two years ago I followed the same routine and they dressed out at about a 6 pound dressed average.

Did I do something wrong or did I have a funky strain of CX's?

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Songster
12 Years
Nov 26, 2007
East of There, West of There
I gave them chick starter for about 3 weeks then switched them to a home mix broiler grower (lionsgrip recipe). Two years ago I followed the same routine and they dressed out at about a 6 pound dressed average.

Did I do something wrong or did I have a funky strain of CX's?
Sounds like your recipe resulted in a nutrient deficiency. The internet recipes rely on static nutrient contents of the ingredients and are formulated for protein content not amino acids.

Buster52

Songster
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Geronimo Oklahoma
Sounds like your recipe resulted in a nutrient deficiency.  The internet recipes rely on static nutrient contents of the ingredients and are formulated for protein content not amino acids.

What would you recommend as a good source of amino acids, Lazy J?

I like the price of milled feed, but I'm concerned about the results. I'm thinking you hit on my weak spot.

kizanne

Songster
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I'm confused. Help me out (not being sarcastic). Your saying they were a nice big healthy weight before butchering like 7 to 8 lbs but they dressed out at 3 1/2?

Or what do you mean by over the board in size?

Buster52

Songster
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Geronimo Oklahoma
I'm confused. Help me out (not being sarcastic). Your saying they were a nice big healthy weight before butchering like 7 to 8 lbs but they dressed out at 3 1/2?

Or what do you mean by over the board in size?
Various weights.

You might have read 8 pounds when he said 8 weeks.

Top Bottom