Small dog overdosed on Adams Spray - need advice Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thomas423, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Here's the background:
    Scruggles is a 5 pound maltese. My DIL adopted him 6 years ago and they did not know how old he was at the time.
    He has allergies to fleas and other environmental allergies so he digs and scratches alot.
    He's been staying at my DIL's mothers house. She has been giving him daily baths and spraying him with Adams Flea Spray.
    Last night he had a bad reaction to it. She says he was disoriented and couldn't hold himself up.
    This morning, my DIL's dad woke Scruggles before work and he says that he was hard to wake up but he opened his eyes. but did not get up.
    My DIL is on her way over there now.
    Does anyone have any advice on what she should do???

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would mix some sugar in some milk and give it to him. Then cut out the daily bath and treatment. After he gets back to normal, bathe him in some oatmeal shampoo from the pet store. That will help with the skin irritations........Pop

3. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Quote:I would check the label on the Adams and see if there is a poision control number to call. If not, I would call the vet and see what they advise. I would be concerned with what has been administered topically as well as orally, if he has been grooming himself, giving him a double whammy and leading to very serious consequences.

4. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wash him to get the spray off. Use something without any flea stuff in it.

Then I would call the vet. Or have someone else call while the dog is being washed.

Sounds like he is getting way too much flea stuff. Oatmeal or Aveno would help with the skin issues and not be so harsh.

5. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I'm so fustrated with DIL.
    She called last night about 10pm with this problem, wondering if she should take him to the emergency vet. It would have taken her at least 1 1/2 hours to get her daughter out of bed, pick up the dog and then drive to the next county to the ER vet. Then it would cost 90.00 just to walk through the door plus all the other expenses, which she does not have.
    I suggested that she call her mom back and have her give him a warm, water only bath and keep him warm. The way I saw it, if he was going to die, it would happen before she could get him to the ER vet.
    I told her that in the morning, our vet opens at 8am and give her a call to see if anything could be done.
    I woke up first thing in the morning and called her to see how he was.
    She was supposed to be going over there.
    I just called her back to see what was going on and she hasn't even left her house yet!!!!
    She's probably been too busy on facebook posting how sick her dog was!!!!
    I just don't understand. Last night, her daughter was in bed sleeping and there wasn't much that could be done.
    This morning is a whole different story.
    I'm ready to call the vet myself.

Well, I'll let you all know what happens.

I did tell her to try the sugar/milk. It might coat his stomach and give him needed energy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Please let her know that it is much cheaper and easier to just buy a monthly pill from your doctor to kill and repel fleas. Regularly dousing any animal in poison will make them sick, and washing one constantly strips all their oil off their fur and leaves then extra susceptible to itchy skin and rashes and hives. Flea sprays and shampoos are meant to be used once every couple of weeks at the most.

8. littleluciex

littleluciex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Wauchula
    Quote:I would also cut back on the daily bathing, the more you bath the dryer the skin becomes. I had a dog allergic to fleas, he would bit himself alot. Lavender Essential Oil diluted in a spray bottle, will work wonders too [​IMG]

9. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Quote:Hopefully she knows that now. Her mother didn't mean to harm the dog. I would have thought that she would have known better, but I guess it could be an honest mistake. He was getting the monthly drops too. Everytime he goes outside he picks up new fleas. So that was the reasoning behind the daily baths and spray.

I so want to call the vet myself, but it's her dog and she is "an adult". All I can do is offer suggestions and support.

10. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Most of the drops are garbage, even the prescribed ones at my Vet's office don't work for my dog. I have a miniature schnauzer with the same issues, severe flea dermatitis. Comfortis is a pill that works great. But all animals in the house and yard need to be treated, turn them into flea killing machines instead of dinner and the fleas should start disappearing from the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by