Small Duck Run help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shiningeyes, Mar 22, 2016.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and desperately need some help. I now have two ducklings ( a Pekin and a Khaki Campbell I believe) about 2.5-3 wks old I think. A quick back story is-I brought up the subject of getting a couple chickens for pest control on our tiny 40x50 backyard orchard. I hadn't planned anything, was just an idea and being the loving husband that he is my other half surprised me with ordering 3 chicks (will be here Sunday) and...2 ducks. My mom has chickens so I can get a lot of help from her in that department but I'm at a complete loss as to what to do with the ducks once they are outside. My questions are can we successfully have them in that small space, with the three chickens? Also, Hawks are a concern so I don't know if I can let them free range even in the fenced area during the day alone. We can make them a run but it wouldn't be able to be very big and it would have to be narrow and long, but I have no clue as to what to put on the ground. If it's not moveable it will just turn to dirt right? I'm so stressed out trying to think about how we will keep them in such a small area without it being a muddy poopy mess. And i've heard pea gravel can cause bramble foot. I'm willing to put in the work (my 3 year old has fallen in love with them) but I'm just so concerned about the space and potential mess. Is there anyone with experience keeping ducks in a smaller space/run that can offer any advice?

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Pekins and khakis are larger ducks, so they should be fine to free range during the day and go into a coop at night. I think that is what would be best.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    So in other words Hawks shouldn't be too much of a problem for these larger size ducks? I will also supply a covered area for them. Now just to figure out how to keep things clean? There are so many posts it's a little overwhelming. Thanks for the reply![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Your welcome and hawks could still be a problem but they have never bothered my rouens so good luck :).

5. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    I did not know that a Khaki Campbell duck was considered a large duck. Just quite new to ducks but have been reading other duck experiences with predators . We have 2 acres but we fenced off 2 smaller area, to rotate the 6 ducks in. I bought a large 50sq foot aviary netting from Amazon for $50.00. In the past, I have seen house cats bring home pheasants. We have owls come through once in a while. When a hawk strikes, it is fangs first with a blow. Once in a while our neighbors dogs get out of their pen and come over. Maybe I just worry too much. but I would hate to lose any of them.

6. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    large as in not a mallard or call duck, [​IMG] i believe that khaki campbell are in the lightweight or medium weight class.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  7. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Ducks tend to be a bit much for a hawk to go after. We lost a young pullet last year and haven't had any problems with hawks since then. Shortly after loosing that chicken, I built a covered run for them ,but the ducks and geese get to roam more. I still have them fenced in with welded wire fencing, but that's because of the fox problem and not the hawks. I've also read on here a few times that if you take your old CD's that are worn or scratched and hang them with fishing line from tree branches, it'll keep the hawks and other flying predators away. Another, "I can't confirm it" but it does make some logical sense.
    Now as far as the "mess". Well, welcome to owning ducks. The muddier the happier ours are. And right now, they are one big muddy mess!!!! They're naturally goofy, so it's a funny messy and not a "oh crap now I have to call in professional cleaners" messy.

Just my two cents on the subject.

PS - I wouldn't trade my ducks for anything. Best investment I've made since the last kid hit the road!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    Now the question is How To Keep Things Clean ? Well are you ready to do room service,? ha, ha. That is how I feel. Love my ducks and they sure know how to let you know if they need some thing. They love cleanliness too, but they are like a pig with feathers. I change their tub water every day and their drinking water several times a day. They are surely meant to be country. Some duck owners love their ducks so much that they put diapers on them and have them in the house. My ducks do not care to swim, they just want to get wet and splash. Except the Khake Campbell.,for some reason she does not have oil on her feathers. I have only seen her get in the tub once and she really got soaked. She goes through the motions but just dunks her head in the drinking water to thrown water over her back.
    Right now 4 of the 6 ducks are molting.
    I have the indoor coop for the night, I have an outside area that I can hose down since I have rubber on the ground. and then the two 40`x30` covered pastures. What I really wanted was a duck tractor to move them all over the 2 acres.

9. RavenClawPekin6

RavenClawPekin6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    Kilkenny, Ireland
    I've got 2 khakis and they do make a huge mess. I live in a small garden too[​IMG]. To keep a perfect garden is impossible but to keep it kinda nice you need grade 3 grass(and good drainage). Sand is another popular option and you dont need a pond, a basin will do fine[​IMG]There's no need to have a moveable coop but you can if you want. Yes, that size is grand for them. Id leave the ducks and chickens in the run when youre not there to keep an eye on them and let them free range when you can keep an eye on them. If a hawk does come, you will know about it straight away with their(very!) loud quacks. Im not sure what fencing is hawk proof or not sice hawks arent a problem in ireland. The big thing I did wrong was I didnt pet them at first because I thought they were scared. Kep on petting them and make them think youre not a huge scary monster and youll be the best of friends!

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think that area is so small for five birds. Ducks can make a mess, but they can also not make a big mess. I have sixteen, count'em, sixteen ducks - Buffs, Runners and a few other small breeds.

And I don't have a mess. The day pen has a base that is pretty much a compost - combined chopped straw, leaves, and duck manure. The pen drains well, and does not smell anything other than a little earthy, like soil. Under the swim pans (again, good drainage, no standing water), is smooth pea gravel and sand, and sometimes oak leaves (they keep odors down). I dump and refill the swim pans daily.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by