Small eggs and carton method...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by needmorechickens!, Nov 4, 2008.

1. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I have to put my silkie eggs in the hatcher tonight. I have been hatching in egg cartons, but the silkie eggs are so small. If I put them in the carton will it cause them problems when they are trying to get out? [​IMG]
    Has anybody else hatched little eggs in standard size cartons?
    ~Rebecca

2. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I had issues with the carton getting wet. My silkies hatched just fine on their sides.

3. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    This will be my first hatch on their sides, but I can't imagine how they would get out in that big ol'carton....so I think I will put them on their side.
    Quail_Antwerp - The 4 chicks I hatched of yours are doing great...pretty sure I got 2 cockerels and 2 pullets. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've hatched silkies in cartons and they got out just fine.

5. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    I've hatched silkies in the regular egg cartons and they got along fine. I just cut the sides and middle down as much as possible. I love this method - much less mess to clean up and it keeps the hatched chicks from rolling the unhatched eggs all over the place.

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    needmorechickens! :

This will be my first hatch on their sides, but I can't imagine how they would get out in that big ol'carton....so I think I will put them on their side.
    Quail_Antwerp - The 4 chicks I hatched of yours are doing great...pretty sure I got 2 cockerels and 2 pullets. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

I am glad they are doing so well! I think it's time for some recent pics LOL

Or did you post some already and I am missing them?​

7. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    No haven't posted pics recently except for my baby orps. I will get you some!
    ~Rebecca

8. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    If you do them in a carton, how do you turn them? Does this work with quail eggs too?

9. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    I only use the egg cartons starting w/day 18 when I put them in the hatcher. At that point the eggs are no longer turned. I haven't tried w/quail eggs.

10. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Well I only do the carton method when its time to hatch, so there is no turning then. However you can put them in a carton the whole time, you just tilt the carton 3 times a day (and place something under it to hold it in the tilted position).

I did decide to trim down a carton and put them in the carton for hatching this time...I just don't want to see the hatched ones rolling the others around.
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by