Small Eggs Will They Get Bigger

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Montana-Hens, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    My EE has just started laying and she is laying small eggs. I have had girls who laid small eggs occassionally when getting started, but never had any who a couple weeks later was still laying small eggs.

Is she going to be a small egg layer? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have three EEs, and they lay a medium sized eggs, so hopefully they will get bigger for you....[​IMG]

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Usually they lay smaller eggs when they begin laying, and then the eggs get larger as they age. Nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal [​IMG]

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Our girls laid real small eggs at first. Within the last week or so they've gone from small to medium to large according to our Ideal egg scale. Yesterday we got an enormous jumbo egg. It exceeded the capacity of our scale.

They will improve. Just takes some time.

5. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Yipee!! There is hope for this girl. [​IMG]

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    My hens seemed to lay smaller eggs when they first start laying then the eggs do get bigger. so yes. they will get bigger.

7. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Mine just started laying two weeks ago and they are small, but the one that has been laying the longest is giving me a slightly bigger egg this week. I gave 6 to a freind of mine and she said they were all double yolks but one! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by