1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small eggs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Adolfo Sanchez, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Adolfo Sanchez

Adolfo Sanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    My barred rocks just started laying eggs but they are very tiny, I thought they are supposed to lay large eggs, what's wrong?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are probably pullets just starting to lay. Young hens lay smaller eggs. The size of the eggs will gradually increase, and next laying cycle will be even larger.

3. Adolfo Sanchez

Jul 30, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thank you! that makes me feel better!

4. Adolfo Sanchez

Jul 30, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    What is a laying cycle?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hens will lay for a period of time, go broody/molt, and resume laying. Egg color will lighten during the cycle and then darken for the new cycle. Cycle length will depend upon the breed/strain that you are working with.

6. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    With pullet eggs they are still trying to figure out the reproductive cycle so you will get some small and some strange eggs. It takes 25 hours from start to finish for each cycle. They will get bigger and after one or two months they will have figured it out and have a normal egg on a regular cycle.

Edit to clarify: I am talking about the egg cycle, sourland is talking about laying cycle.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. Adolfo Sanchez

Jul 30, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thanks foreverlearning!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by