Small farm hobby ideas for profit

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by tarajane, Feb 7, 2016.

1. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Can someone tell me what hobbies you enjoy doing for a profit ? I don't mean millionaire profit, just a high selling item that's all the rage, eggs, worms. mealworms, mushrooms, rabbits, etc. Thank you. I will be moving soon to FL so I hope this helps.. Something I could sell at farm markets too.

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Goats

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If possible, it may be an idea to consider products that are "value-added" (hate that kind of term, but sorry i can't think of another way of putting it). For example, eggs you can sell, but what about making mayo / aioli, or quiches and let your mind wonder at will. I think that people who shop at farmers markets like the fact that products are home made, so they don't need to be fancy - just tasty! And if you like baking - then you are sorted!

All the best
    CT

4. tarajane

Feb 8, 2015
    Thank you. I have heard that Duck eggs are wonderful for baking, just another thought........

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome! I'm sure if you go to farmers markets and see what people are selling, you may get more inspiration!

All the best

CT

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Homemade foods such as jams, pickles, baked goods, etc. People love fresh homemade foods. You don't list what state your live in; make sure you check your state and/or county regulations first if you choose this route.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickenlover292

chickenlover292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    North Dakota
    I have learned that people are wanting honey

8. tarajane

Feb 8, 2015
    Yes, bees were on my mind. Will have to investigate everything about bees and how to care or them....Thank you

9. chickenlover292

chickenlover292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    North Dakota
    It is not that hard, but the first year is the hardest because you have to buy all the equipment and some of the equipment is spendy, especially the extractor. I check my hives once a week and it doesn't take that much to take care of them.

10. EllieMae83

EllieMae83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Taylor Barnyard
    Duck eggs are "eggcellent" for baking due to their richer flavor!! Dwarf Nigerian goats for their milk would be a good idea too. You could make a slew of products with the milk. Soaps, cheese, etc. I'm considering bees myself and found the Beekeeping for Dummies book its filled with all kinds of info.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by