1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small flock of 4 ducks need new home in Southern NJ

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by araucanasmom, Dec 19, 2012.

1. araucanasmom

araucanasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    I have to find a new home for our babies, very sad

for us as we can no longer afford them. They are 1

female Mallard, 1 Male mixed Mallard/Muscovy, 1

male Mallard, and 1 female Muscovy. All were

hatched and hand raised by us in our home, but

could adapt to living outdoors. I could drive them

to you if not too far away. They will only be given

to good home where they will NOT be eaten and can

be kept together. Picture of them from June is my

avatar (Muscovy has molted and is all white now)

2. tompich1

tompich1 New Egg

Jun 16, 2012
    Clayton New Jersey
    Wow, that is really sad. Are you having trouble feeding them, or are there more expensive medical concerns that your ducks have? I have been supplementing my chickens feed with bread, and kitchen scraps and it really seems to stretch the feed. I am going to try to convince my wife to let me pick them up from you. We live in Clayton NJ. We have 5 Australorp hens who are friendly, calm and sociable.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. araucanasmom

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    The cost of feeding and caring for them is becoming too much since my son and I both lost our jobs. I can not have them outside where I live, so they have lived inside with us. I would be so grateful for a home where they will be loved as much as they are here, especially if we could visit them. They are very friendly once they know you and the female Mallard (Niblet) thinks she is a human because she was the only one to hatch from the first batch of eggs. She will be a year old February 1st. The other 3 are from a replacement batch of eggs we got since we had ordered Muscovy eggs and got the Mallard by mistake. Unfortunately the people I got the eggs from messed up again and we only got 1 pure Muscovy.

4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    I was just reading your posts today back from March when the eggs first hatched and wanted to see how they are doing sorry about them having to go, but hope you find them all a good home.

5. araucanasmom

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    Thank you tompich1 and bantamsrmyfav. I have been getting them kale and other things to eat with food stamps to stretch the feed. I found out I will not be getting alimony after May 2013 since my ex-husband is retiring and I don't have any idea how much half of his pension is going to be so I really need to find them a home before then. I have a back up place for them and the cat at the Funny Farm animal rescue where I re-homed our chickens when neighbors complained about the noise. They had a pack of dogs break in and kill most of the birds they had last year including our beloved crossbeak Silky rooster and his sons and daughter, so I am worried about sending them there.

6. araucanasmom

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    I'm still looking for a family for our four precious ducks.

7. kibaby226

kibaby226 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    I would love them but live in NC right at the VA border!

8. araucanasmom

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    kibaby226- I might be taking a trip to Georgia in February if I can get the money together, so I could drop them off on my way. Could you tell me more about yourself?

9. araucanasmom

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    I think they sense that I'm looking for another home for them and both girls have started laying in the winter. Are they trying to earn their keep?

10. eagleghost17

eagleghost17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    I'm also in nc right by border and is willing to take them in of you like when you come this way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by