Dunwoody-Jen

Chirping
Feb 23, 2019
we have a small backyard flock of 3 hens ( we started with 5 but 2 turned out to be roosters and had to be re-homed), since losing our last male, our EE hen has become very noisy! If she senses any activity outside the coop she immediately starts in with a pterodactyl like screech. Our other hens are an Orpington and a Barred Rock and they make softer, clucking noises. Can anyone tell me if this is an EE thing or just an individual bird thing? I love this gal but she is loud! I need to know so when we add to our flock next year we can look for quieter breeds.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
She could be acting rooster-like from a dominant/protective standpoint since there isn’t a male. Also, her personality could just be noisier. Our EE are quiet, but we have a rooster. We have Legbars that are noisier (screech a lot), even though we have a rooster. Often they quiet down as they get older too.

Dunwoody-Jen

Chirping
Feb 23, 2019
I've never heard of EEs being especially loud. If you're trying to avoid the more "vocal" breeds, steer clear of RIRs. ;)
Ah yes! One of our original five girls that turned out to be a roo was a RIR. He was very loud! Which breeds are known for being a little bit quieter?

AmyJane725

Crowing
Feb 22, 2019
Western WA
I have several breeds of chickens. I don't know if they get louder with age (haven't hit true puberty yet), but they're all very quiet for the most part (including my RIR cockerel). My lead cockerel is a Silver Spangled Hamburg. He'll crows like 3 times in quick succession in the morning (somewhere in the 7 - 8 am range), but that's about it (unless he thinks there is something dangerous around). None of the other boys (7 or 8 of them) make a peep. The girls are pretty much silent as well. Some of them make specific noises when I pick them up, and some talk while I'm holding them, but nothing crazy. My girls are a silver spangled hamburg, australorp, silver phoenix, silkie broiler and barred holland.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend keeping this many boys. A lot of these are going to have to go eventually.

Top Bottom