Small flock of Standard Ladies.... and a Bantam Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joz, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    I'm still planning my coop and flock. I'd not thought about getting a roo, but everyone's stories about roo personalities re protection and finding treats and spoiling the ladies has got me thinking that a roo would certainly add to the entertainment value. I'm not keen on breeding, so it's not essential that I have a roo, or that the roo can service the ladies. That said, I have a few questions:

- In a small flock (5-6, max), would a bantam roo get beaten up on? Or will his machismo protect him against full sized ladies?

- How loud is a wee roo?

- Will presence of a roo (of any size) encourage the ladies to go broody more often than they would without a roo around?

- Would a bantam roo be able to satisfy his needs with the ladies, or is he doomed to a life of frustration? Fertilization is not my goal here, but I wouldn't like to compromise the little dude's Quality of Life.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If you're lucky or unlucky (depending on one's point of view) you might just get an accidental roo when you get your chicks.

I got one and have decided to keep him. He's pretty selfish right now (only 3.5 months old) and is only starting to take care of the pullets. Any goodies he finds or treats I give them, he doesn't share yet. He does round 'em up at night to come into the coop, which is pretty cute to watch. Oh, all mine are standard size.

I just wanted to mention that you might get a rooster whether or not you INTEND to get one. [​IMG]

3. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    my bantam roo does great with the big hens in my main coop. he has fertilized eggs too. They respect my mini just like they would any roo....BUT You Need i good sized bantam. for example my oegb trys with the big hens but he has know chance. he,s just to small

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have a OEGB Roo in with my Marans hens. He takes good care of them. He has all the respect he can get from them. He does breed them, but I don't hatch any of the eggs. One good thing is he doesn't wear their feathers off.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My two roos are black splash japs. They have a whole flock of standard hens. They try to mate and sometimes are successfull and sometimes they are not, if you get my drift. Just observe and you'll understand.
    My roos crow are more high pitched and not as loud as Mooch my deleware roo.
    The roo will be able to handle himself with the hens, he will not get beaten up.
    The presence of a roo will not encourage broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by