Small flock rooster issue...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by My11BabyChicks, Aug 6, 2011.

1. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    I have 10 egg laying hens in my flock, 1 rooster... He is CONSTANTLY on top of them or chasing them around- And I mean CONSTANTLY... Has anyone ever seperated a rooster from the flock and put him in a seperate area?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    That seems kinda mean. Poor roo. [​IMG]

Is he harming the hens? Are they starting to show nekkid backs? How old is he? Young roos are often more amorous.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    It sounds like he's a young rooster with raging hormones soon he should start doing his real job looking out for his flock and calling them over for good treats if he's not young and you don't like how he is then find a new rooster and re-home him. Most of my roosters were wild to start and then settled down to being a good rooster though I have had to get rid of a few because they wanted to bother me [​IMG]

4. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    What about fertilized eggs?

Yes,he is hurting them....

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Is he young? Like I said he should calm down. I get plenty of fertile eggs without the rooster terrorizing my hens I do see mine chase some hens around to do the deed and he is in charge of the flock discipline and will keep the peace.....mostly though they watch out for hawks etc and if they find good eats they call the hens over and they babysit roosters are much better than a hen for babysitting....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by