SMALL hanging waterer??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Aug 18, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I can't find one! My new pullets Audrey and Bianca are living in a very large dog crate until they are out of quarantine. All the hanging waterers I've seen are HUGE and take up too much space. But the small one I found (like this one: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Feed-and-Water-Supplies/Chick-Waterer-Plastic-1-quart-p299.aspx ) just gets gross. They step in it, etc. I have it up on a concrete paver but that doesn't really help. It needs to be hung up and it can't be.

Has anyone seen a small hanging waterer? Or have ideas how to make or jerry-rig one?

Thanks!

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    How about one of those hampster waterers? they hang outside the cage and really don't take up space. I have heard of several people here using them.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    People here have put a single nipple in the cap of a plastic water bottle or a glass alcohol bottle, and hang them. I'm sure you could find it if you searched.

4. ~KH~

~KH~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Southern CA
    Quote:I did this with a sports water bottle we had lying around and it works great.

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You can always set up waterer cups along the side. they take up very little space and make the watering process very easy with less filling and cleaning.

[​IMG]

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    A nipple drinker arrangement that requires minimal space. Plus they are as clean as you can get!
    [​IMG]

7. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Why drill a hook screw down through the top, attack a tiny carabiner, and hang it from a string? The carabiner will allow you to take it off and fill it. Cheap.

8. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:Unless the screwhook connection is airtight the waterer http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fee … -p299.aspx will leak. If a fount like this is not designed to hang, if the birds can push it enough the water will slosh out. In any case it is a chick waterer and the headspace is none to large for a mature chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by