Chirping
Mar 2, 2015
UK
Hi I have 2 hens I raised sice 3 days old
and they are now 2 years old their size is
still the same as a chick who started to lay eggs
heres a picture

Is it just me or are they small for 2 years old

Perhaps it is their breed, or perhaps they are runts. It is hard to tell their size from that picture, with nothing to compare them to.

Wow if u dont get enough nutrition then you
wont grow that much I did not know that!
I used to feed them small bird seed and
give them thing like salad or cheese
thxz

Chickens need proper nutrition for proper growth and development. Just like any other creature. Bird seed lacks a lot of the essential vitamins and proteins needed for healthy chickens.

Only actively laying hens should be fed layer pellets. If you have birds of different ages, sexes, or not actively laying hens, feed a 'flock raiser' or 'all flock' feed. Supplement laying hens with oyster shells for calcium. Have feed, calcium, and grit available all day long; not just a couple times a day. You can give them treats occasionally and never more than 10% of their daily diet. Fruits, veggies, leafy greens, chicken scratch, grains, and meal worms are good treats.

The average chicken like yours are full grown by 6-8 months. They fill out a little bit over the next few months and that is it. They don't grow anymore after this.

For baby chicks, it really is best to feed chick starter/grower. Not sure if you were feeding them mainly small bird seed when they were little, that's not the best diet and could have been the reason for their size. If so, there is nothing that can be done about it, besides giving proper feed from now on.

Back
Top Bottom