Small Incubator-Brinsea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Woods_Woman, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    After my fist hatch in my used ancient relic Hovabator 1583, I think it's time to upgrade. I am not looking to hatch large amount's of eggs since I am a city dweller, but I would like to hatch more then 3 at a time. I've been looking at the Brinsea Mini Advance and it looks like something that would work quite well. It looks like a fairly new incubator thru Brinsea, and looks to hold 7 eggs, wondering what others that may have this incubator thinks of it. Also if fit's 7 standard eggs, how many Bantam eggs would it fit? Through Brinsea Website it run's about $119.-$140.00 with shipping, not sure if I can get it anywhere else cheaper. I am looking to purchase within the next 2 wks, so any insight would be more then helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think thats alot of money. I also have a hovabator 2362n (no turner). I paid less for mine, 101.00 plus tax. I love it. I only hatch 6 at a time. But I definetly want a bigger one. But if its what you want because you like then you should get it, You know kinda of like vibes that tell you to do it [​IMG] Have fun chosing.

3. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Your right it's expensive..but I am gifting myself, and I deserve it. I just don't need my big ole hovabator when I only want to incubate 6 or 7 bantam eggs. Not to mention I want something that is new and reliable, and I love the looks of the brinsea. I even thought about going for the $ 99. octagon w/o the bells and whistles, but once again dont need all that with only a few eggs at a time.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, Tina - I can tell you that I've got the Brinsea octogon 20, and I absolutely love it! It holds temp like you wouldn't believe, and I typically only have to add water every 3-4 days. So, I would think the little one would be similar. However, I'd strongly advise you to consider getting the auto turner. I know it holds less eggs, but are you 100% sure that you'll be home at least 3 times a day to turn the eggs by hand? Just something to think on.

5. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  6. doxpeople

doxpeople Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Hi Tina I have the mini advance and am a first time hatcher. I set seven and have four pips and chirps tonight with eggs from Washington. I recommend it highly.....plug and play on this one.

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have the octagon 20 and LOVE it. So easy and well worth the money. Go for it.

8. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Congrats Doxpeople on your hatch. Thanks all for the info...Now if my bonus check would just hurry up and get here.

9. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Hi,
    I'll make a plug for the Brinsea Mini Advance. I just got my Mini Advance yesterday & transferred my 7 silkie eggs to it from Hovabator Genesis today. I got a dozen new silkie eggs which were mixed color & cheaper. Those went into the Hovabator. I put my more "special" splash eggs in the Brinsea this afternoon & watched the temperature. I have 2 thermometers inside, and the digital built-in one on top. None have varied more than .25 F from the 99.5 standard in the 24 hours I've had the unit running. I have hatched two sets of eggs in the Hovabator Genesis, and I have not gotten the temperature to stay that even for a day.

If you're only going to hatch small batches of eggs, this seems like an excellent choice. One of the down-sides, besides extra space (try fining a hygrometer to sit on top of your rolling eggs!), is that the water trough is harder to access, and I do not think you can run tubing into the troughs during the lockdown period. You have to take the lid off if you want to fill it. Another seems to be that you would have to remove hatching peeps more often, due to space constraints.

Still, I'm really pleased with the thoughtful design, the simple and thorough operation/incubation manual, and the visibility. My daughter loves to come in at intervals to see the egg-rolling mechanism at work.
    This is my second incubator, and I haven't tried the Octagon.

Thanks as well to the updates and photos by BelleBouche on his Brinsea Mini. That helped me make my decision quickly.

If you're searching for the cheapest new smaller Brinseas, the Brinsea site is currently the cheapest on Minis and Octagons that I have found, due to their ongoing sale.

Good (c)luck:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by