Small incubator suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trailhound, Sep 1, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I am planning on writing a grant to get incubators for each of the kindergarten classes at my school. Our plan is that each teacher will hatch out a different kind of bird (ducks, chickens, quail, Guineas etc ), or if that doesn't work out, at least chickens. Can anyone recommend a good reliable small incubator? They don't need to hold a lot of eggs, we are just going for the experience, but I would like to find the most reliable and practical option. We can turn eggs during the week I guess, but after school hours and on the weekends we might have a problem if we have to turn them ourselves. We would like to have something that will hold up for multi-year use as well. The first grade teachers borrowed incubators last year and had a lot of problems that I would like to avoid.

Thanks!
    Andrea

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Wouldn't it be great if each class made their own incubators?

You can use white igloo coolers, or the Coleman plastic type. They can be reused every year.

Do a google search for "homemade incubator" - UTUBE even has videos showing how it's done!

3. mark3208

mark3208 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    ohio
    Those "little giant",or hovabator are reliable small incubators,probably gonna run 80 dollars or so for the incubator,and egg turner,which you will need. The hold about 4o eggs ,can purchase them at farm stores such as Tractor Supply Co. or many feed mills,or even easier,online!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

See if you can get the Hova-bator Genesis 1588 incubator. They're very reliable. I wouldn't trade mine.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
  6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup the genesis 1588 no doubt

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree, if your going to try to get a grant from the school to buy a bator, go with something BETTER than a styrafoam, make it worth it. I have never had a styrafoam work excellent for more than a year or two. They Lyon incubators are perfect for schools, with a clear dome to watch everything, and work excellent, year after year. I own three and won't owen anything else ever again.
    The zoo around here uses these incubators (modified a bit) for their reptile eggs, so, if the zoos use them, they have to be reliable.[​IMG]

9. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    Try buying a very good reliable incubator. Then to keep costs down on you eggs then try to find a local farmer to donate the eggs for the school. Then you could share the bator with the other classes.
    The costs of the bator can be offset by selling the newly hatched chicks to the students for a return on the bator. Then next year buy one or two more bators! This way you can see if the students show an intrest in raising chickens. If they dont then to keep their intrest try hatching geese or pheasants or let the class decide, just an idea!

10. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I had week old chicks in my classroom for a few weeks last year, and they were a big hit. I found a!woman nearby that is willing to donate eggs of many different kinds of poultry/fowl and then take the chicks back when we are done with them- should work out fine once I can make arrangements for incubators. Someone suggested that I contact 4H and see if they have some we can borrow- we will see how it goes.

Andrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by