small Khaki campbell flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scatteredeggs, May 2, 2011.

1. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Hi new friends,

i am new here. i know practically nothing about having ducks. i'm wanting to get ducks to help me control the slugs in the yard. may i request help on the following:

1 - get ducklings or adult ducks? I just saw a posting on CL for a small flock of KC ducks. i thought adult will be effective right away in slug control and at the same time, i can enjoy the eggs.

2. how do i keep the ducks in a particular area at a time? do they fly? what kind of 'pen' is needed? is there such a thing?

thanks in advance.

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    You could get either ducklings or just adult ducks, there is bonuses to both of them you said that they are affective right away and the eggs stright to you, but if you want the whole experience then i would get ducklings so you could raise them and they could get familiarized with you. That does take a lot of work though, so thats your personnal choice.

You could keep them in a pen and move it everyday or so and have sort of a chicken tractor but specialized for ducks. KC's dont fly because they are a domestic breed but they can get some air or something of that sort. You could let them free range if your yard is fenced in and you are confident that you have it somewhat predator proof, but you could always make a permenant pen with a coop and then in the mornings just let them out and free range all day then back in at night.

I know there is many more things to go over so i think ill let a more experienced crazy duck person chime in!

3. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Khaki Campbells are great slug snail go getters. Mine ignore my plants in my garden (except for the mint and chard) and root around my plants to find bugs and slugs. They are a skittish breed so bonding with ducklings is kinda nice to get them used to you being near by. But, you will also get LOTS of eggs as a bonus.
    Ducks are vary easy to herd around so I put up a play pen and leave it open and herd my ducklings into it where I want them to focus their effort for a day. Here is a pic of them when they were still little...
    [​IMG]

4. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    thanks Big Dreamer and AnaD for your replies. our yard isn't fenced. i guess the answer will be a tractor and a run. how do i make it specific for ducks? a wading pool? what will serve as nesting boxes?

5. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Go to the coop section and there is a bunch of info about all that stuff!

6. Nateforau

Nateforau Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Odenville, AL
    Love my Khakis. Can't beat an egg a day from these girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by