Small New Hampshire Red?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by micstrachan, Mar 25, 2017.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Greetings,
    I'm just barely past my first year of chicken keeping, and have learned quite a bit. However, there is so much more to learn. My New Hampshire Red has always been my smallest chicken. We even nick named her "Daint," but her real name is Rusty. From what I've read, New Hampshire Reds aren't necessarily a small breed. She's recovering from egg yolk peritonitis, so is still underweight. Her "sisters" (flockmates: Plymouth Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Brown Leghorn) are all much heavier, even before her recent illness. Is it common for New Hampshire Reds to be dainty?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That is a normal sized hatchery New Hampshire. All hatchery birds are bred down in size to produce better layers. Same goes for Rocks and Australorps - good quality specimens of those can be easily twice the size of your backyard production hen. Real chickens are not small, but real chickens are also very rare in this day and age when quantity is bred for rather than quality.

If she literally weighs less than the others, I'd say she's still recovering from the peritonitis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by