Small Nexting Box and Well Meaning Father (HELP)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4Wheelers, Apr 2, 2015.

1. 4Wheelers

4Wheelers New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Milwaukee, WI
    So….Brought the base of my unfinished coop (4’x3’)down to my dad’s shop to design and build attached nesting boxes. My initial plan was 4 1 cubic foot boxes. I know that is more than enough but I just wanted a little bit extra air in the coop.
    We talked about different designs and settle on what I thought we agreed on. When I came back out of the shop’s office from doing his taxes I found that he went ahead and built them (or it) without me as a favor. The thing is instead of boxes its sharp trapezoid because of instead of building the long wall he just dropped the top from the 12” mark at the coop down to a 2x4 at the back of the box and now I’m worried there won’t be enough space. Current measurements: 12x12x3 ½ x 16. Will that be too tight for my hens to want to lay in there? I have two red sex links, a silver laced Wyandotte and an Australorp.
    Shape of box below

[​IMG]

2. 4Wheelers

4Wheelers New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Milwaukee, WI
    I should also add that the nest box is nailed into place and shares siding with the base of the coop. So it would be a real booger to rip out.

3. Arcnova

Arcnova Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    I think your hens will be ok with that. You can always give it a try and if they refuse to lay there you can always try again. :confused:

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    in the past I built nest boxes that were shaped like that, only not that drastic of a drop off. That short on the outside will definitely be cramped for bigger breeds. The last ones I built, were 12" at the front, and 10" at the outside edge (where yours is 3 1/2). I didn't like it at all, it just didn't seem to be enough room for the bigger chickens I had at that time, I had a couple of hens that just wouldn't use them and laid their eggs outside in the run. You can see the nest box sticking out on the right side under the roof overhang
    [​IMG]

The one's I built on my current coop are 17" on the front, with 15" on the outside. I did cover the front with sheeting, with a 10 1/2" circle cut out. They like something cozy, but not cramped! These are going to be plenty roomy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see it extending out under the window. It does have a lid I can lift to gather the eggs. Plenty roomy for them, yet cozy because of the circle openings. I guess we'll find out in about 3 or 4 more months when my girls get old enough to lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by