Small numbers of meat chicks in the UK?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kitsune, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    Well the title really says it all, I'm looking for small numbers (5-10) meat chicks in the UK - I've had a look around but can only find layers, even the pure heavy breeds are hard to get hold of and I'm really looking for something that will grow a little faster (though something in between the broiler house bird and pure breeds would be ideal)

Any ideas?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe someone over there has "slow cornish"? Or a type of freedom ranger? Not sure about what is available in the UK.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The feathersite lists some hatcheries in England:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKHatcheries.html

But, I would go to the newstand and buy an issue of Practical Poultry. There are loads of advertisements in there for people selling day old chicks. I know Waterstone's usually carries farm magzines like PP.

4. Kitsune

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    I can't belive I didn't think about picking up a magazine! Yeah, I know where to get some from - I'm too young obviously - caught up in the internet age, everyting available online! not always the best way to go - thanks grey, I'll go pick up a mag tomorrow and see what I can find!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well I am in the US, but my wife is from Teeside (and my mother Herefordshire). We get Practical Poulty and County Smallholding each month. It's great to get the view from the UK where Smallholding is a traditional way of life. Someday... someday we'll have that dream farm in the Yorkshire Moors. : )

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Try Ebay for hatching eggs.

7. Kitsune

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    just had a look on ebay - never heard of souss before but will have to look into them - sound ideal though - Thankyou :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by