Small odd-looking protrusion on hen's back? Ingrown feather?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Today, I saw Poppy picking at her back and found a finger-like protrusion. It sticks up pretty far and is soft-ish to the touch. Is is an in grown feather? How to treat?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Is it right above her tail on her back? If it is could it be her oil gland?

3. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thats exactly where it is! Its at the beginning of her tail. Is it something I have to treat?

4. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    It may be an in-grown feather that may have infected. I would take a very sharp knife (scapel or exacto) and see if anything comes out. If something comes out I would squeeze it until nothing else comes out then I would put Triodine on it. She should be fine.

5. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:Thats exactly where it is! Its at the beginning of her tail. Is it something I have to treat?

No, an oil gland is natural and actually necessary, to keep feathers looking healthy. They rub their beaks on it and spread the oil around the feathers when they groom. There is no need to treat an oil gland.

6. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ok... So its either an oil gland or an ingrown infected feather...

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If it's right above her tail it's her oil gland.....it's normal and and what she uses to groom herself.

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania

No, an oil gland is natural and actually necessary, to keep feathers looking healthy. They rub their beaks on it and spread the oil around the feathers when they groom. There is no need to treat an oil gland.

OK. I was just worried because I saw her pick at it, but maybe she was just spreading the oil around. So if I looked on my other chickens, I would see one on them, too?

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
  10. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:No, an oil gland is natural and actually necessary, to keep feathers looking healthy. They rub their beaks on it and spread the oil around the feathers when they groom. There is no need to treat an oil gland.

OK. I was just worried because I saw her pick at it, but maybe she was just spreading the oil around. So if I looked on my other chickens, I would see one on them, too?

Yup, all chickens have it. Other species have it, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by