Small one looks so sad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 31665, May 28, 2008.

1. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    This is my first group of six that are one week old All look and act pretty good but my baby girl she has hardly grown she is half the size of my biggest chick,(all girls) and has pasty butt and is a little wobbely. Can I do anything to help her along? I am caring for the pasty butt. It looks like it hurts.

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    just keep her clean and keep an eye on her. We had one and we isolated her for a few days. She'll be O.K. Plenty of water and food. For protein you can scramble an egg and crunch it into small pieces and feed her that. Hope this helps

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Which one do you want me to post on? It is a double post. Could the smaller chick with pasty but be a banty? a picture could help us out. [​IMG]

4. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Sorry about the double can I delete one?
    I bought 3 silver laced wyandotte she looks like the others just really little I'll try to post a pic. As far as feeding a scrambled egg should I not use any butter in the pan? Thanks

5. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    OK I scrambled the egg she will not touch it. She sleeps alot

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Put a little sugar in the water or some baby vitamins...pol-visol I think it is called.

Try the egg mashed up with some applesauce on it.

Keep us posted and I am crossing my fingers for her.

7. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Does anyone know how much of the vitamin I should give. Also she sleeps standing up I rarely see her lay down. Strange?

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Some of my girls slept standing off and on...other just fell asleep standing up and either fell over asleep or their head fell to the bottom of the brooder like a brace. they were hysterical.

I believe you can give her like 1 drop in her beak and put a few drops in her water....do a search for poly-visol or poly-vi-sol some of the old hands have posted the information and amount previously.

Edit to add from another post:

I use the poly-vi-sol with any chick I have that seems weaker than the rest. I would give her a drop now and then again in the morning. Just put it on the tip of her beak until you see her drinking some of it. You may waste a drop or two because she wont open her mouth for you but her instincts will eventually make her open it a little bit. Enough for it to drip in anyway. Just dont squirt it down her throat, you dont want her to drown. If she gets a little more than a drop, dont worry about it, no big deal.
    Sprinkle some starter crumbles on the floor of the cage for her and scratch at it with your finger to entice her to start eating it. She really needs the high protein of the crumbles now.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Thank you I hope she is ok in the morning I hate to go to bed I make her drink water every 1/2 hour She looks ok just small and a litte woobly like she had a few too many!!

10. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    My DH brought home a dozen babies almost 2 weeks ago. They were different sizes, which led me to believe they were different ages. There were 3 that were much smaller than the rest. One stayed smaller, and acted just as you describe.. I felt so bad for her. She would just stand there, all wobbly. She was eating and drinking, but I never saw her lay down after the first day. And she would fall asleep standing up, her head would drop to the floor. It was kinda cute, yet sad. she had a pasty butt, and I cleaned it up, and she was acting fine. I checked her the next morning and she was up and running with the group. Her butt looked good. But by the time hubby got home, she had pasted up and died. I don't know if the pasty killed her, or if she was doomed from the start, because she wasnt growing like the others. I had seriously thought she would survive- she was so feisty despite her size. But she always seemed to be standing there alone whenever I checked on them. And that made me feel bad for her.
    I guess like any other living thing, we do what we can to make them comfortable, but it's kinda out of our hands. Just keep an eye on her . Alot of people, from what Ive read, have had runts that survive and thrive. And others don't make it. I had 5 days with my little peanut. And I have her picture as my wallpaper on my work computer- the picture I took after I cleaned her pasty- where she is sleeping standing up. I added a caption, because of her wobbliness...
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh248/Lil2Bizzy/Fids/pnut004-1.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by