Small order chicks? where to buy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by HyperTree, Aug 7, 2010.

1. HyperTree

HyperTree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Hi, i'm new to BYC, and rasing chickens in general. but in sometime in Feburary (i know. its a while away, but the money for the coop/run is gonna take a while to save up and i want to have everything set up for them *before* i place the order) is when i'll be ordering them. i've looked at a different online hatcheries (McMurray, MPC, Nature's Hatchery, Country Hatchery were some) and i was going to buy from Nature's Hatchery, because where i live i can only have 4 chickens, and everywhere else makes me buy 8 or more. earlier i was reading about some member's bad exsperiances with them, and now i dont know what to do. So is Nature's Hatchery bad? is there another small-order chick supplier that lets me buy just 4?

2. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Stay away from Nature's Hatchery. I only wanted a few and went with Ideal- I'm giving away the extras, you might want to do the same. Plus, figure there's a chance of some dying in transit. Meyer and Mypetchicken will send you only a few, depending on where you live. Otherwise you might try a local feed store. I think Cackle's minimum order is 15.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Mypetchicken.com- depending on where you live, they can send 3-8 chicks at a time.

4. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:...and Country Hatchery's website is gone I see.

5. HyperTree

Aug 7, 2010
    MPC says i have to order 8 because of where i live. and what's the website for Ideal?

6. cknhobbiest

cknhobbiest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Branch,MI
    find a breeder close by and purchace the culls or chicks from them. or find someone to go in on a order with.

7. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
  8. HyperTree

Aug 7, 2010
    hmm, i just did another google search and "Meyer's Hatchery" came up. anyone have any exsperiance with them?

9. HyperTree

Aug 7, 2010
    and thanks TyIt33 for the site. [​IMG]

10. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:I mentioned Meyer synonymously with Mypetchicken in my first post in this thread, due to the fact that MPC drop-ships from Meyer. If you order a MPC chick, you get a Meyer chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by