small orders of turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bufforp89, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I am really interested in raising a few turkeys in the spring this year. The trouble is that only commercial varieties are available locally and I dont have space for the min. orders from hatcherys. I really want to stay away from the commercial varieties and get heritage type turkeys. Are there any hatcheries (or BYC members for that matter) who are willing to ship smaller ammounts? Say 5?

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Let us know where you are located at and maybe someone who raises turkeys lives close by. The problem with shipping small number of birds in the box is they tend to get too cold and die. You might also want to place a "wanted" ad in your local paper or put up a notice in your local feed store.
    Good luck in your search.
    Sharon in NC

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I am in the Chenango/Broome county area in NY. I have tried wanted adds at the feedstore, in the paper and craigslist with no sucess. [​IMG]

4. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    PM sent. I live an hour west of you and I too would like to split an order of turkey poults.

5. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Check in the spring on Craigs list. I am in Northern NY and have seen a lot of adds for turkeys and poults in the spring in the Syracuse area. I bought two nice Bourbon Reds from the Watertown Craigs list this past fall and they are
    now members of the family. Good luck!

6. pandaz

pandaz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2009
    Chenango County New York
    Oh, so glad I found this post,I am in Chenango County and also want heritage turkeys, in particular the Royal Palms.I too would be interested in splitting a shipment.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I was also advised to buy more turkeys from a hatchery than I wanted since they have higher mortality than chickens.

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I second that

Also, here's another idea, since minimum numbers are for body heat purposes during shipping, you could order as few turkeys as you want and fill the rest of the order with cheaper chicks or roos, that's what I did, besides, turkey poults aren't the brightest crayons in the box, so starting them with chicks will allow the chicks to show the turkey poults where the feed and water is.

9. pandaz

pandaz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2009
    Chenango County New York
    I asked at a couple of hatcheries about buying a few turkeys and filling the order with chicks for heat and they said no, they would not mix them like that.If you know of a place that will do that, can you please post it? Thanks!

10. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Another option might be to check LocalHarvest.com for your area. Search for the type of turkeys you want and you might find a local breeder. When I hatched out some shipped Midget White eggs, I wound up with all toms. Through Local Harvest I found someone an hour away from me who had poults for sale. I wanted to buy 5, but the seller sold me 6 for the price of 5. I paid $5 each which I thought was a great price. The poults were about 2 weeks old and all thrived. I got what I wanted and supported a local breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by