1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small orders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dawg53, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I usually order 3-6 day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery or MPC (I know they order for Meyer.) I called both places and they no longer sell Black Star chicks! They offered Red Stars, but I prefer Black Stars and have ordered them before directly from Meyer. The person I talked to was new and didnt know why they didnt sell them anymore. She stated that they have the grown pullets, but are way too expensive. Efowl is currently only shipping orders of 20 chicks or greater. Anyone know of a decent hatchery that has a small order program, specifically Black Stars? Thanks in advance.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Thank you. Unfortunately they have a minimum order of 25 chicks. I'm not set up for that quantity and there's no one around here that would be willing to take about 15 chicks lol. I found out that in the spring Efowl may be selling a minimum of 5 chicks...guess I'll have to wait and see.

4. Char971

Char971 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Westover, Maryland
    Quote:Is there anyone close that you could get a RIR rooster? Black Stars are a hybrid of a red (usually RIR or NH) rooster & Barred Rock hen. If you can get your hands on a rooster, you could breed a few of your own.

On another note, I will be offering Black Stars & Rhode Island Reds, but probably not until spring, but that may change. I just received my permit to sell hatching eggs and/or chicks and am having my flock tested for NPIP certification this Thursday. I have come across so many people locally that only want a small order, and just like you, the bigger hatcheries have a minimum that most people want to stay away from. The reason I will not be offering any chicks till spring is that I don't know all the specifics yet on running a hatchery (shipping, etc.). I don't even have a name yet!

5. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Randall Burke has a new minimun of 5. Their ad is in here. Cackle have a minimun of 5 for those dwelling in the city. Both of them have the black stars. You can check with Purely Poultry also. Hope this helps

6. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Ideal-poultry has black sex links, which are the same thing, and they will let you order a small #! I have always ended up with great birds from them!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Thank you! I've got some coming in a couple months.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Thank you! I've got some coming in a couple months.

MPC is sold out of most of their breeds until Spring. I think they have some Marans, though.

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I don't have black stars, and I see you already have some chicks coming, but if you are ever interested in any of the breeds I raise, I'd be happy to give you a few...

Wish I had about 150 less juvenile birds right now. [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Thank you! You're very kind! I'm getting 8 more chicks and I'll be at my limit once they're grown. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by