small pet water bottles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Moselle, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Could/should/would a chicken drink out of one of those water bottles (with a "ball point"-type drinking tip) that you get for hampsters and gerbils? I'm planning to have a regular large waterer out in the chicken run, but am wondering if water bottles would be a good choice for inside the henhouse - less spillage?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    they make them for chickens, but i think they have a little lever tip, plus if you are going to use the small pet ones you better be ready to change them quite often. Chickens drink a lot, and you cant keep them from freezing in the winter like the big wateres that you can just put a warmer underneath. I like my big waterers, i fill them everyother day in the winter and every day in the summer.

3. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    We have founf the bottle water-ers very handy...less moisture spilled. BUT, only the chicks we raised from day one, to use them, will use them. The older ones can't/won't learn. We got a nozzle kit for $5 from Tractor Supply company, and attach it to a 2L soda bottle.

4. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Hmmmm. So will your nozzle chicks also drink out of a regular waterer, or only the water bottle kind?

I'm going through all this because I saw a 64oz small pet water bottle that I thought would be perfect for inside the chicken tractor (easy to attach to the wall). I was planning to keep their regular feeder/waterer outside in the run, but realized it might be a good idea to keep some water inside for them. But if they'll only drink from one type or the other, I'd probably better stick with a regular waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by